You are seeing a copy of a topic from forum.ps2dev.org.  Only the page numbers works, the other links point to the original forum.

Click HERE to go back to index of psq2dev mirror.
Click HERE to go back to PlayStation®2 Linux website.

Link to original post: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10156&start=420
forums.ps2dev.org :: View topic - ps2 linux on usb memory
forums.ps2dev.org Forum Index forums.ps2dev.org
Homebrew PS2, PSP & PS3 Development Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ps2 linux on usb memory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.ps2dev.org Forum Index -> PS2 Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citronalco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Megaman:
The Live DVD works pretty good! Great work!
Just one remark: It would be even more usable if it would have a working ssh server. For this UNIX98_PTYS and DEVPTS are missing in the kernel and of course a host key is needed.

Some other questions: As the BlackRhino sources have faded away, would it be possible to replace the BlackRhino base with e.g. Debian 4 (last version with 2.4 kernel - all attempts for a PS2 kernel 2.6 seem to be stopped)?
Does it matter whether mipsEEel or mipsel (or mipsel64?) is used for "normal" packages? I don't really have a clue what's the difference between them. If mipsEEl only provides small performance benefits wouldn't it be sufficient to have kernel and maybe libc6 in mipseEEL? If that's ok 99.9% of the normal debian distribution could be used.

EDIT: I noticed that in the SRC directory of the Linux Live DVD the kernel sources (afair LINUX.TGZ) are the unpatched BB-Navigator kernel sources. What patches were used to build the Live DVD's kernel?

Last edited by citronalco on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
noiseand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A versão para NTSC do live dvd que fiz deu certo, a imagem ficou colorida na tv. Inclui tambem o controle do mouse via coltrole do ps2.

Sobre a versao que montei, como meu ps2 não aceita dvd de video, não inclui as pastas VIDEO_TS e AUDIO_TS ao gerar este novo live dvd. Isso fez com que o sistema passasse a carregar o "kloader.elf" como se o disco fosse de um jogo qualquer.

Testei o linux-samba (http://www.ps2.nuclearfall.com/) do Deba5er e achei muito boa a performance, mesmo via wireless de 54 mb. O sistema é bem estavél. Agora conseguirei compilar e alterar algumas coisas sem ter que regravar o dvd.

Não estou nem mais usando usb, deixei o "kloader.elf", "initrd.usb2.smb" e "vmlinux.gz" no cartao de memoria e de la subo o sistema.

Só estou apanhando para encontrar o rdesktop e as dependencias.

---------------------------------

The version for NTSC of live dvd that I made gave certain, the image was colorful in the TV. It also includes the control of mouse saw coltrole of ps2.

On the version that I mounted, as not accepted mine ps2 dvd of video, does not include folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS when generating this new live dvd. This made with that the system started to load " kloader.elf" as if the record was of a game any.

I tested the linux-samba (http://www.ps2.nuclearfall.com/) of the Deba5er and found the performance very good, exactly saw wireless of 54 mb. The system is well steady. Now I will obtain to compile and to modify some things without having that to rewrite dvd.

I am not nor more using usb, I left " kloader.elf" , " initrd.usb2.smb" e " vmlinux.gz" in the card of woollen memory and I go up the system.

I am only apanhando to find rdesktop and the dependences.
noiseand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citronalco wrote:
@Megaman:
The Live DVD works pretty good! Great work!
Just one remark: It would be even more usable if it would have a working ssh server. For this UNIX98_PTYS and DEVPTS are missing in the kernel and of course a host key is needed.

Some other questions: As the BlackRhino sources have faded away, would it be possible to replace the BlackRhino base with e.g. Debian 4 (last version with 2.4 kernel - all attempts for a PS2 kernel 2.6 seem to be stopped)?
Does it matter whether mipsEEel or mipsel (or mipsel64?) is used for "normal" packages? I don't really a clue what's the difference between them. If mipsEEl only provides small performance benefits wouldn't it be sufficient to have a mipsEEl kernel and libc6? If that's ok 99.9% of the normal debian distribution could be used.

Pelo que sei nao conseguimos por o kernel 2.6 no ps2 por uma questao de estabilidade e desempenho.

Seria interessante colocar o Debian 4 ou o 5, ou mesmo o Fedora. Estou tentando.

Um dos testes incluem em usar o pc com qemu emulando mipsel e com isso gerar uma imagem de disco acessvel pelo ps2.

----------------------

To the best of my knowledge and belief we do not obtain for kernel 2,6 in ps2 for a question of stability and performance.

It would be interesting to place Debian 4 or the 5, or same Fedora. I am trying.

One of the tests includes in using the PC with qemu emulating mipsel and this to generate an accessible record image for ps2.
said026

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Hello all Reply with quote

Hello all

I have a SCPH-77004 and when I start Kloader it freezes at
Code:
Load Config from DVD
. Can I resolve this or can I use the Live DVD ?

Thank you
deba5er

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@said26

It appears that it can't load the config.txt file from the live dvd if you are trying to run the live dvd. You might want to use ULaunchelf to remove any existing config.txt file from mc0:\kloader before running to make sure the default settings are set.
Mega Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@said26
This behaviour normally means that you need to close the disc tray. Maybe the disc is not readable. I've tested it with my SCPH-77004 and I optimized it for this model.

@citronalco
The kernel configuration is on the Linux Live disc in the config directory.
For Linux 2.6 a newer gcc is needed. Chewi was working at gcc 4. I was able to use his work to get the xgcc (early state of compiler when compiling gcc), but I wasn't able to compile the real gcc without kernel headers. My current PC doesn't have these files anymore, the files are stored on a backup disc.
In the past I couldn't find a different MIPS CPU which is a subset of EE. The EE Core User's Manual says:
Quote:
The EE Core supports all MIPS III instructions with the exception of 64-bit multiply, 64-bit devide, Load-Linked and Store Conditional instructions. It also implements additional EE Core-specific intructions, such as selected MIPS IV, Multiply/Add, and mutlimedia instructions.

The MIPS-III instructions are also used by R4x00 CPUs. These CPUs are supported by Debian. In general programs from Debian will run until one of the not implemented intructions are encountered. I think it is possible to write code which simulates the unsupported multiply and devide instructions in the Linux kernel (DDIV, DDIVU, DMULT, DMULTU), but this will decrease performance. I think the other instructions are not used in user space (LL, LLD, SC, SCD).
mipsel64 will not work, because R5900 only supports 3 of all MIPS IV instructions (MOVN, MOVZ and PREF). mipsel will work until you encounter one of the 8 instructions above. I assume there will be an exception in this situation and the program will stop.
dlanor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mega Man wrote:
In the past I couldn't find a different MIPS CPU which is a subset of EE. The EE Core User's Manual says:
Quote:
The EE Core supports all MIPS III instructions with the exception of 64-bit multiply, 64-bit devide, Load-Linked and Store Conditional instructions. It also implements additional EE Core-specific intructions, such as selected MIPS IV, Multiply/Add, and mutlimedia instructions.

The MIPS-III instructions are also used by R4x00 CPUs. These CPUs are supported by Debian. In general programs from Debian will run until one of the not implemented intructions are encountered. I think it is possible to write code which simulates the unsupported multiply and devide instructions in the Linux kernel (DDIV, DDIVU, DMULT, DMULTU), but this will decrease performance. I think the other instructions are not used in user space (LL, LLD, SC, SCD).
mipsel64 will not work, because R5900 only supports 3 of all MIPS IV instructions (MOVN, MOVZ and PREF). mipsel will work until you encounter one of the 8 instructions above.
So if something could be done to deal with those particular instructions, then a standard mipsel port could work. Is that it ?

And if those instructions are relatively rare, then their special treatment overhead might not have a large impact on the overall runtime efficiency.

Quote:
I assume there will be an exception in this situation and the program will stop.
Normally I too assume this would happen, but surely it should be possible to use a custom trap vector leading to code of our own, where we can simply emulate the missing opcodes and then return to the point where normal execution was trapped.

I never did this myself for MIPS opcode expansion, but I have done it before with other CPU families (both TMS99xx and the ancient MC65xx series), so I am well familiar with the methodology as such. Naturally a lot of things will be different for a MIPS CPU, but it should still be doable...

The closest thing I have done with the EE is to use trap vector routines that catch specific address access to GS registers, for the GSModeselector implementation. (In the GSM project started by 'doctorxyz'). But I'm pretty sure the same kind of thing can also be done for unimplemented opcodes.

Best regards: dlanor
citronalco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dlanor:There's a patch for linux 2.4.27, emulating 80486 instructions on 80386 CPUs. Maybe that's a starting point.
http://linux.1wt.eu/kernel/2.4/lkup/x86-emu/2.4/patch-2.4.25-wt2-emux86-0.3
Afair this patch was included into mainline.

@Mega Man: The kernel sources on the Live DVD are the unpatched BB Navigator sources. Are your patches not needed any more or were the patches just forgotten?

If anyone is looking for the latest Debian 4.0 images, they still can be found here: http://www.gnu.ftp.uni-erlangen.de/debian-cd/images/4.0_r7/mipsel/jigdo-dvd/
Mega Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dlanor: right

@citronalco: The patches are stored in the kernelloader2.1.tgz and described in the README.

When I have time I will look at the Debian distribution. I hope this will not disappear as the BlackRhino server.
citronalco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about all this 5900, mipsel, Linux/MIPS, gcc and binutils things the more I get dazed & confused...
Whatever. I think I'll try to get ssh working, set up a NFS root and see what happens.
Mega Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BlackRhino source packages and binary packages are now availabe at the kernelloader CVS. I am working at it to improve it.

In the past there were problems that the left part of the screen was not visible on some TVs. There is now a fix for this available:

Click on download:
http://kernelloader.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kernelloader/BlackRhino/src/p/ps2utils/setcrtmode_0.9-2_ee.deb?view=log

I changed the program "setcrtmode" to include support for the screen position. To install it, you need to use the command:
Code:

dpkg -i setcrtmode_0.9-2_ee.deb

My PS2 Linux Live DVD (some people called it PS2 Linux Live CD in the past) doesn't support writing to DVD, so you need to wait for the next release to get this feature.

The parameters dx/nx and dy/ny can be used to specify offsets for moving the screen. The following is working on my TV:
Code:

setcrtmode PAL nointerlace dx 18 ny 2

This will move the screen 18 units to the left and 2 units down. For moving left you need to use nx instead of dx. Same for ny and dy. You can use the parameter "-p" to get the current mode. I think the new feature should work with all existing Linux kernels, because it was supported since years, but nobody used it.
When you install this package, the default configuration will be stored at "/etc/crtmode.default" on each system startup. This file will include the configuration set by the kernel parameters. This doesn't include the screen position. The program "setcrtmode" will load the configuration from the file, if you don't set anything else.

The next version of kernelloader will also support to move the screen within the program using the left control stick.
deba5er

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The parameters dx/nx and dy/ny can be used to specify offsets for moving the screen.

Very nice, easy to install and works great. dx 30 gives about 5 character width from the edge for me, although I then lose characters off of the right edge of the screen. I am configured for dx 0 since I used service mode on my TV to fix things more permanently, but can see the majority of people needing to use this.

For the left joystick, you mean to change the location of the screen for kernelloader only, right? Not once you start Linux, because I think people like using the gamepad as a mouse?
Mega Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the control stick can only be used within kernelloader to adjust the screen. For the Live DVD I want to make it easier than fiddling with command line parameters for setcrtmode. I think I can use a bash script and the program dialog. I was already thinking about adding it to the pad mouse control tool (Sorry, I forget the name of the tool). Maybe there is one control stick free or we can use a special key combination.
deba5er

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mega Man
Quote:

I was already thinking about adding it to the pad mouse control tool (Sorry, I forget the name of the tool). Maybe there is one control stick free or we can use a special key combination.

The tool is joymouse-0.5-slow-cursor-ps2.tar.bz2 (uploaded to sourceforge already). The right joystick currently isn't used, but the left joystick and L1/L2 function as a two-button mouse with R1/R2 as scroll buttons.
citronalco

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got NFS root almost working now on my PS2 slim. At first I thought it would be possible to use Linux' kernel level ip autoconfiguration to set ip address and nfs server, but that feature seems to be broken. Had to use an initrd instead.
Ran into some serious networking problems: udp hardly seems to work, even ip address discovery via dhcp is very unreliable. nfs over udp hangs after some kbyte. switching to tcp solved this issue. transfer rates are low for a 100 mbit/s device (~10 mbit/s), but i think that enough to work with.
deba5er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@citronalco

Cool. peterdcrees also did NFS successfully. My SMB-version also only gets around 10 mbps. I think we are looking at limitations of the IOP processor maybe?
citronalco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@deba5er: Thanks for the hint, found the thread.

I'm not really worried about the network throughput, but quite a little bit concerned of the udp issue. peterdcrees also uses tcp instead of udp for nfs, so is this problem known?
Mega Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be possible that network on the slim PSTwo is not fully stable. Transmit overflow may be ignored by the current design, because the code is devided into EE Linux driver and IOP frame forwarder. The IOP side can overflow without informing EE side. My DHCP server only supports TCP and I think that I only used TCP. TCP handles lost frames without problems. UDP have problems with it and it depends on the application behaviour.
dlanor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact UDP does not have any error recovery of any kind.
It also does not handle any long-term connections of any kind.
And the reason for these limitations is that it is a protocol for single packet exchange.
It was never intended for the purpose of long-term connections, such as is required for generic file exchange, and other large-data transfers.

It is possible to do such transfers anyway, by designing higher level protocols that simply use UDP for the transfer of packet-sized data blocks. Such a protocol can then be designed to handle error recovery when some data blocks go missing (as they inevitably will do occasionally).

But doing this is futile compared to using a protocol like TCP which is designed for long-term connection, with built-in error recovery at low packet-handling level. This will always be more efficient than trying to impose such handling 'on top' of a UDP implementation.

Here is a brief excerpt from a wiki on UDP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol wrote:
UDP uses a simple transmission model without implicit hand-shaking dialogues for guaranteeing reliability, ordering, or data integrity. Thus, UDP provides an unreliable service and datagrams may arrive out of order, appear duplicated, or go missing without notice. UDP assumes that error checking and correction is either not necessary or performed in the application, avoiding the overhead of such processing at the network interface level.

In short:
UDP is suitable for low-volume short-term traffic only.
TCP should be used instead, for all large-volume and/or long-term connections.

citronalco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dlanor: That's only partly true. UDP has a slightly lower overhead than TCP at the cost of some packet loss.
Yes, UDP does not retransmit lost packets on it's on, which makes it first choice for video & audio streaming or ip telephony, because it keeps latency low - no one cares about a few wrong or lost packets during a video conference.
In addition to that you don't really have packet loss in local ethernet networks - that's why UDP is the standard protocol for NFS.
UDP is also used for DNS and DHCP, so it's rather common.
dlanor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citronalco wrote:
@dlanor: That's only partly true.
No. It is a 100% true basic fact of networking.

Quote:
UDP has a slightly lower overhead than TCP at the cost of some packet loss.
The overhead difference is not slight, but significantly large, when you consider the processing requirement as opposed to just the packet size effects. But for all cases where you need error-free transfer, that extra cost is very worthwhile.

Quote:
Yes, UDP does not retransmit lost packets on it's on, which makes it first choice for video & audio streaming or ip telephony, because it keeps latency low - no one cares about a few wrong or lost packets during a video conference.
You are just confirming what I already said, with a different slant.

This is just another way of saying that UDP is suitable for transfers where data loss is of little importance, so that a long series of individual packets (which is all UDP can allow) will serve in place of a more reliable continuous and error-corrected data stream (which is what TCP provides).

Quote:
In addition to that you don't really have packet loss in local ethernet networks
You have to be kidding me...
Total absence of data loss just because a network is local. I wish!

Of course losses in a local network are of a different kind and less frequent than in Internet transfers, but they are not non-existent.

This kind of reminds me of the (IMO) failed attempt to use UDP in v0.9.x of the HDL_Dump installer server, which many first praised for its high speed, only to regret it later when installation errors were revealed (the price of absent error correction).

Quote:
- that's why UDP is the standard protocol for NFS.
Which I consider a bad design choice.
For massive file transfer only TCP is qualified.

For NFS they may have imposed one of the higher level protocols I mentioned earlier, using UDP only as the low level block transfer protocol (like a sector write routine is to a real file system). But the overall efficiency of such an implementation is bound to be less than that of TCP, when achieving the same results.

So a well designed implementation based on TCP should work better than an equally well designed implementation based on UDP, because with TCP the error correction is made at low level, where it belongs.

Quote:
UDP is also used for DNS and DHCP, so it's rather common.
Of course it is. I never said anything else.
Those are typical examples of the kind of traffic UDP was created to handle.
Simple request+response exchanges without any long-term connectivity.
For such cases it would be absurd to use TCP.

citronalco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to start a UDP vs. TCP flame here, sorry about this.

As mentioned some days ago: The more I read the more questions arise. Maybe someone can help me out:

1. Linux 2.4.17mvl21 needs Kernelloader because it does not communicate directly with the hardware but through the RTE/TGE.. Why should this be different with Linux 2.6?

2. I've learned the R5900 is basically a R4000 with some additional & missing instructions. There are a few GCC versions around producing R5900 compatible binaries: GCC 2.95, 3.0.3, 3.2.2, 4.2 and 4.3. Which one can be used for what? I read somewhere that the Linux kernel can only be build with 2.95, some others only can build static ELFs (which ELF? Linux or PS2?), some have other limitations. Which GCC can be used for what? And why?

3. Linux 2.4.17mvl21 emulates ll and sc instructions. On linux-mips.org they say lld and scd (seems to be the same as ld and sc but for doubles, all 4 instructions are part of MIPS-II) are also missing. Are they emulated in the Linux kernel?
Using Blackrhino the ll & sc emulation counters in /proc/cpuinfo do not increase. I could successfully run bash-static from Debian 4.0 mipsel, both counters increased rapidly but bash did not crash. Why did Montavista implement ll and sc emulation when it is not needed for their compilers?

4. Is there a place where some information is bundled? playstation2-linux.com is nearly abandoned, filled with spam and seems to get offline any time soon(?), on linux-mips.org there's nearly nothing. Did I miss some sites?

5. For X11 the gsx driver is needed. Blackrhino uses XFree86 3.3.6. Is there a port to Xfree86 4 or even X.org? If not, is there any chance to get some video output in more modern X11 implementations?

6. I've read someone managed to get Linux 2.6 booting on the PSP using a patched uClinux kernel. Is this of any help?

Thanks in advance to everyone answering!
Mega Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citronalco wrote:

1. Linux 2.4.17mvl21 needs Kernelloader because it does not communicate directly with the hardware but through the RTE/TGE.. Why should this be different with Linux 2.6?

In general Linux 2.6 also needs to use RTE or TGE. The source code of TGE can be copied into Linux 2.6, Linux 2.4 and BSD (this is not a simple copy operation). A loader is still needed to start Linux, even if TGE/RTE need not to be part of kernelloader in this design approach.

citronalco wrote:

2. I've learned the R5900 is basically a R4000 with some additional & missing instructions. There are a few GCC versions around producing R5900 compatible binaries: GCC 2.95, 3.0.3, 3.2.2, 4.2 and 4.3. Which one can be used for what? I read somewhere that the Linux kernel can only be build with 2.95, some others only can build static ELFs (which ELF? Linux or PS2?), some have other limitations. Which GCC can be used for what? And why?

I think you need gcc 3.2 or higher for Linux 2.6. Versions between 3.0 and 3.2 are unstable on all platforms (especially x86).

GCC 2.95 is included in Sony Linux and Blackrhino and can compile Linux 2.4, but not Linux 2.6 because of a bad coding style in Linux 2.6. It is possible to change the coding style of Linux 2.6, but you need to change very much code.

GCC 3.0.3 is avaible from the Sony Linux side for PS2 Linux. As far as I remember it is still not possible to compile Linux 2.6. I heard that this version has some bugs.

GCC 3.2.2 is used by ps2sdk for compiling homebrew. For homebrew I would say it is working good. In this version the Linux support is disabled, so neither Linux 2.4 nor Linux 2.6 can be compiled. Otherwise I think it would be possible to compile Linux 2.6.

GCC 4.2 was used by Chewi for gentoo. This version causes assertions to fail in the compiler. Chewi reported that he was able to compile working homebrew software.

GCC 4.3 was used by Chewi for gentoo. I don't tried this. Chewi said that it has more support for R5900 stuff.

Another GCC 3.?? was used by Chewi for gentoo. This was never running good.

citronalco wrote:

3. Linux 2.4.17mvl21 emulates ll and sc instructions. On linux-mips.org they say lld and scd (seems to be the same as ld and sc but for doubles, all 4 instructions are part of MIPS-II) are also missing. Are they emulated in the Linux kernel?
Using Blackrhino the ll & sc emulation counters in /proc/cpuinfo do not increase. I could successfully run bash-static from Debian 4.0 mipsel, both counters increased rapidly but bash did not crash. Why did Montavista implement ll and sc emulation when it is not needed for their compilers?

I didn't checked this in the Linux source code. It interesting to hear that bash was working from Debian 4.0 mipsel.

citronalco wrote:

4. Is there a place where some information is bundled? playstation2-linux.com is nearly abandoned, filled with spam and seems to get offline any time soon(?), on linux-mips.org there's nearly nothing. Did I miss some sites?

The posts in this forum is already the best what you can get.

citronalco wrote:

5. For X11 the gsx driver is needed. Blackrhino uses XFree86 3.3.6. Is there a port to Xfree86 4 or even X.org? If not, is there any chance to get some video output in more modern X11 implementations?

I don't know, but one problem could be the memory consumption.

citronalco wrote:

6. I've read someone managed to get Linux 2.6 booting on the PSP using a patched uClinux kernel. Is this of any help?

If the PSP has the same CPU, we can use the same compiler. But I am not sure about this. The only thing that I need to get Linux 2.6 running on the PS2 is a working compiler toolchain.
citronalco

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this cleared up some things.

Now that I have Blackrhino working and have seen some Debian packages working without recompilation I tried to install some more Debian mipsel packages, but stumbled over some bus errors (seems to be the CPU errata/nop/exception handler thing you've written about here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8860). So things are not that easy. Recompiling Debian 3.0 packages from source works but is very time consuming and, besides this, Debian 3.0 is VERY outdated. You're right, there's no way around a working modern GCC.

Sadly (PSP guys definitely will disagree here) the PSP's CPU is totally different from the PS2's and it's fully supported by GCC, so there's no code to borrow. I wish I'd have more than just basic knowledge about C and assembler.

There's still one issue with Kernelloader and 2.4.17mvl21: When doing a cold boot USB is not working until I re-plug the USB devices. And the slow network of course.

EDIT: According to http://kerneltrap.org/node/5974 Linux <= 2.6.15 compiles fine with GCC 2.95.
noiseand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ola!

O que temos de melhorias nos "kloader2.2.elf" e "ps2linux_v0.8.zip"?

--------------------------------------

hello! What we have of improvements in " kloader2.2.elf" and "ps2linux_v0.8.zip"?
Mega Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changes for kernelloader 2.2 are listed in the section "Changes": http://kernelloader.sourceforge.net/kernelloader2.2.php
baggacfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Rhino Contact Reply with quote

Hi,

I just found out about the new stage of kernelloader and the live dvd. Great work so far. Two things I want to help you out with:

First I had contact with someone who original had the source for the rhino distro befor it was sold. (msporny@digitalbazaar.com) Perhaps writing a email to this guy gives us a old rhino source again.

Second I found a guy how does an open source video encoder cluster. The Cluster nodes can be run on linux, too. I just mailed to the programmer and he said java would be needed and he is interested in Playstation 2 linux to cooperate with his work (www.codergrid.de is the webside)

So perhaps we can set up some new things soon.

CU!

P.S.: Is there a howto boot the live dvd and copy the linux to a fat ps2 with lan adapter and hdd?
citronalco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@baggacfreak
Blackrhino binaries & sources were available until a few weeks ago here: http://playstation2-linux.com/blackrhino/
They state on the website that the downloads will be availabe again in july - hope that's true.
In the meantime you can use my own (slow) mirror: ftp://patriciawindt.dyndns.org/blackrhino/

In /etc/apt/sources.list this would be
Code:

deb ftp://patriciawindt.dyndns.org/blackrhino stable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://patriciawindt.dyndns.org/blackrhino stable main non-free contrib

About the Media Encoder Cluster:
In today's standards the PS2 is slow, I'd guess something like a 8 year old PC, so I doubt this would be very useful (unless you have hundreds of PS2s in your basement). On the other hand this would be rather interesting...
If this thing really needs java you would need a PS2 port of a current GCC and GIJ. A modern GCC would be very useful in general, maybe one should put up some bounty.
Mega Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Deba5er was able to get the source code. Some packets have a slightly newer version. It is now available at the CVS of kernelloader.

Encoding of H.264 on the PS2 with a java program will be very slow on the PS2. The PS2 has only 32 MByte which is not enough for simple java.
The old gcj is nearly unusable. For PS2 Linux there is no working java available. The newer version of gcj isn't fully compatible with sun java. I don't think we get a precompiled version of the sun java for R5900. I heard that it is possible to load the full source code of the sun java from the sun servers, but I never tried it.

I don't created a howto for installing Linux from the Live DVD.
baggacfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see. So is there a working ffmpeg for PS2 Linux? I would not mind waiting for a video convert for some time as my own pc is not the newest itself. With ffmpeg I'd convert everything to xvid mp3 so no 264 or high def video codec thing.

About PS2 Linux and clustering: The PS2 Cluster I found on the net was special built so no help for us, but perhaps it would help compiling new programs. So if a cluster would speed up compling, we could at least use a couple of ps2 to speed up things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.ps2dev.org Forum Index -> PS2 Development All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: