Linux for PlayStation 2 Community - Forums

Summary |  Home Page |  Forums |  Lists |  Tasks |  Docs |  Surveys |  News |  Files | 

Discussion Forums: New User Forum

Admin

BY: benjagan91
DATE: 2009-Oct-18 00:37
SUBJECT: Thinking about setting up PS2 Linux...

Hi,

I like the idea of PS2 Linux and am thinking of setting it up. I'll purchase a PAL kit from somewhere (eBay maybe?) since I'm Australian. First i have a few questions.

1. Expanding memory

So i've read some threads here and there. I've never dealt with soldering or that sort of component level electronics required to upgrade the RIMMs if possible... has it been determined that using a memory card for memory (RAM) would be too slow? Is that with all types of memory card including magicgate etc. ?

Could a USB be used through the USB ports on the PS2 for RAM? Or is it USB 1.1 and is too slow to bother? I've heard people say about using the HDD rather than a memory card for better memory speed access if someone was to try and do this... what about using an IDE Solid State drive for faster performance? What about an IDE Compact flash or other sort of adapter commonly found in small ITX style cases etc. ? Being IDE you can run two devices of the one channel.

2. Developer Consoles

I'm thinking i'll try and get my hands on a developer console for the extra memory to start with. Does what model i get matter? Do any have advantages over eachother? Also... i'm in love with the whole animation you see when you turn a PS2 on, including the sounds etc. Does this occur on a development console?

3. Disc Drive

Has someone made a hack/mod to get the build in optical drive to work with all cd/dvd discs? Surely there is some way to get it working? If not can an external usb optical drive be used?

4. Monitor

How do i know what LCD screen to use for synch on green? What is the maximum resolution supported by the hardware? 1280x1024? or?

5. Keyboard and mouse

Can i use any USB keyboard and mouse?

6. Hard drive

Can i use a bigger hard drive?

7. Main computer

If i was to be a crazy bastard and attempt to use this as a main computer, i'll obviously want light weight software such as browser, media player, window manager etc. Can you suggest how it would be possible to do this?

What else do i need to know? Can i use a USB hub to use more devices?

Thanks.

Regards, Benjagan91

Thread View

Thread Author Date
Thinking about setting up PS2 Linux...benjagan912009-Oct-18 00:37
      RE: Thinking about setting up PS2 Linux...benjagan912009-Oct-18 00:41

Post a followup to this message

You could post if you were [logged in]