Linux for PlayStation 2 Community - Forums

Summary |  Home Page |  Forums |  Lists |  Tasks |  Docs |  Surveys |  News |  Files | 

Discussion Forums: Software

Admin

BY: carlosn
DATE: 2007-Jan-14 20:57
SUBJECT: PS3linux and controller

I finally got a PS3. I installed Yellow Dog Linux 5.0. The overall experience was great. The installation was really smooth.
I was someone frustrated to read that the PS3 did not accept the PS2linux keyboard. I simply do not understand what kind of oversight is this. Here we have a USB keyboard that has the SONY logo and is not supported by the PS3. In any event, I was able to use the same keyboard to finish the installation. As a side tip, every time the keyboard got a sticky key, I unplugged it and plugged it back to a different USB port. This seemed to bring control back to the keyboard.
My biggest disappointment was the PS3 controller. I remember reading that the wireless feature of the controller was disabled under PS3linux; but I assumed the controller will be functional once plugged in to the USB port. I was wrong, the controller does not work at all. I thought I did something wrong, so I started using Google to research the problem. To my surprise, I found hacks that will enable the WiiRemote and the Xbox360 controllers to work under PS3linux.
I would like to be able to play simple Linux games like Mahjongg, Gweled, Sudoku, etc. using the controller.
Under PS2linux the controller used to work. I does not make sense that they've crippled the controller's functionality.
I hope SONY acts pro actively to remedy this situation. I does not look good when you can use controllers from your competitors and not your own.

Thread View

Thread Author Date
PS3linux and controllercarlosn2007-Jan-14 20:57
      RE: PS3linux and controllercronocloud2007-Jan-15 20:24
      RE: PS3linux and controllercarlosn2007-Jan-29 21:48

Post a followup to this message

You could post if you were [logged in]