HOWTO blindly configure /mnt/mc00/p2lboot.opt
Lionel Lemarie - email@example.com
This document describes one way to setup the boot config file when the display is not correct, e.g. the "display" value in the file /mnt/mc00/p2lboot.opt is set to the wrong mode.
- Turn your console on, if a TV is plugged properly you should see the Playstation 2 logo.
- Wait a good minute.
- If you see the boot screen your "display" value is configured properly and there is no point reading this file.
- If you don't see anything, press the "return" key once, wait a second or two, and press the "return" key again.
- Be patient.
- After a while you will hear your hard drive stopping; or rather you won't hear your hard drive reading any more.
- From now on, be very careful what you type, you won't be able to see if you make mistakes.
- type "root" and press the return key.
- type the root password and the return key. Do not make mistakes.
- type "cd /mnt" and return.
- type "mount mc00" and return.
- type "cd mc00" and return.
- type "cat p2lboot.opt >saved.opt" and return.
- type "vi p2lboot.opt" and return. NOTE: there is no "s" in p2lboot.opt, I keep making the mistake.
- type "2G" exactly as is (without the quote, of course). Do NOT press return. The G is uppercase.
- Press the "$" key, press "h" twice.
If you got lost in the way, after you opened the file, you can press Esc several times, type ":q!" to quit without saving, and start again from "vi p2lboot.opt".
Now, if you have a PAL TV:
- type "Cpal", exactly as is, the C is uppercase/
If you have a NTSC TV:
- type "Cntsc", exactly as is, the C is uppercase/
If you have a VGA screen:
- type "Cvga", exactly as is, the C is uppercase/
- Press Esc, several times to make you feel good.
- type ":wq" and return to save and quit.
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to restart.
- You will hear a click and your hard drive will stop.
- Press reset.
If it has not worked, well, try again and be more careful.
If it still does not work, mount the memory card and go in its directory and type "cat saved.opt >ps2lboot.opt" and start again.
If it still does not work, this is beyong the scope of this document.